Monday, March 10, 2014
Class Reflection
Writing 105M: a class like no other.
As I am only a second year here at UCSB, I have not taken any classes beyond the common lecture-style class. I have become accustom to the routine of: going to class, taking notes, writing a paper every now and then, and studying a few days before a midterm or final. When I walked into this class, the small size was an immediate shock to me, but I was not prepared for the amount of hands-on work that I was about to encounter.
I do not consider myself a writer by any means, so I wanted to fulfill my requirement by doing something different, and I definitely did that. This class has opened my eyes to so many things that I had completely overlooked. Whenever I saw presentations, or multimedia compositions, I never thought too much of them beyond just what they explicitly said. However, with this class, I have a new, not only understanding, but appreciation for this work.
I can honestly say that I have not spent as much time on any other class assignments than I have for this class. While I know that my final projects are only the foundation of what experts can accomplish, they are something that I am actually quite proud of. Even though the I had to devote many nights to my computer screen, I did really enjoy it. I thought that the schedule of this course was extremely well laid out, and had a natural progression through the different modes. I felt prepared for each level of assignment that we were asked to complete, but was still quite challenged.
My favorite assignment from this class would have to be the Photoshop project. Although it was frustrating at times, I really felt that by the end I was able to create almost everything that I had wanted to. On the other hand, the Prezi assignment was the hardest one for me. I didn't quite have the vision for this assignment that I had had for the others, and I think that my work portrayed that.
One of the things that was surprising to me in this class, was the amount of audio recording that I was required to do. I have always avoided listening to my own voice, but throughout this quarter I became much more comfortable with it. Hearing the way I come across to others is something that I think will actually help my public speaking skills a lot in the future.
Overall this has been by far one of my favorite classes that I have taken at UCSB. It has challenged me in so many ways, and has truly helped prepare me for upcoming endeavors. I have recommended this class to many other students, and will continue to do so.
And I will never look at font the same way again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I completely agree with you, the Photoshop project was my favorite as well! I loved how it challenged us to learn quickly and to be creative. Like you, I never really get a chance to have a creative outlet here at UCSB, but this class allowed us that opportunity! I also understand the way you feel about having to do so much recording. It was definitely awkward at first, but having to do it so often made me a lot more comfortable with listening to myself and feeling okay sitting behind a microphone. I'm glad to see you had such a positive experience, because I did too and I'm so thankful we all got the chance to experiment with all the programs and digital multimedia the way we did!
Post a Comment