Working with Audacity has been a great experience for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed the time that I have spent using it, and I look forward to the time I have left with it. It is a relatively simple program to use, and once I started to get the hang of it, I found myself using it just for fun. It is really a great tool to have in my arsenal because it is something that can be used for many different things other than just Podcasts.
When I first began using it, before we learned more about it in class, my biggest struggle was getting one track to play loud enough over a much softer track. It took me a long time to be able to perfect the various volumes of the sounds. After class on Thursday, however, I do feel that I have a much better handle on how to do this. Another challenge I have encountered is trying to decide what music to put in the background of my Podcast. The song I originally had in mind is unfortunately not on either of the allowed websites, so I will have to adjust my vision slightly.
My favorite part of Audacity is being able to record something and add sound effects. I have yet to actually use that in my Podcast script, but just doing it for fun is very entertaining. I have listened to many sports podcasts in my life, thanks to my older brother, and I was always amused by how something so little can add so much to a script.
Audio is very closely tied to text in terms of podcasting. Although I have written out basically what I am going to say, the audio is what is going to bring it to life. I have to take written word, and make it sound pleasurable to the human ear. I am finding it difficult to judge how I sound before I actually play it back, because we always sound differently than we think we do. A monotonous tone has the potential to completely ruin a beautiful piece of written work. With that said, however, unless you are incredibly quick on your feet, the text is what makes up the meat of the podcast. Neither is worth anything without the other.
2 comments:
I'm glad you had a good experience with Audacity also! It's a really cool program, and like you said, it has a lot of potential for other projects aside from solely podcasts. Figuring out the levels for songs, background tracks and voice recordings is really tricky, it takes a lot of playing around to make it sound exactly the way you want. That's definitely something I struggled with as well, so I'm glad I'm not alone in that regard! I also love what you said about how a monotonous tone of voice could ruin a beautifully written script because I completely agree. It's really unfortunate when a subject is really interesting, yet because of the way the person speaks the intrigue and desire to listen falls. Further, I feel the same way when it comes to the relationship between written and spoken texts- you said it best, "neither is worth anything without the other!"
I totally agree with you on the biggest struggle being finding what music to put in the background. It is even more difficult not being able to use the songs we want because of the copyright issue. I remember you being very creative when I talked to you last, so I'm excited to hear your podcast!
Post a Comment