Friday, January 17, 2014

Week 2 Blog: "Podcasting 101"


In the past two weeks of this class, I have become familiar with more computer programs than I ever have before.  I am more of the "if it ain't broke, don’t fix it" variety, so I kept my knowledge to the most basic levels.  However, in just 4 classes, I have explored Gliffy, Blogger, Screencast-o-matic, Audacity, and I will soon create my own Podcast.  I am really surprised with how quick and simple it is to use these different systems.

Of everything we have encountered so far, I am most looking forward to creating my own Podcast.  When reading the “Podcasting 101” article, Michael W. Geoghegan and Dan Klass summarized the process as, "Prep, record, edit, master, encode, upload, update. Pretty straightforward."  While it would be slightly naïve to assume that my experience will be as organized as this one, it gives me the confidence that I am not embarking on an undoable task.  

When it was time to pick out a topic for my Podcast, in my usual fashion, I stared at the wall for a solid 3 minutes.  I was trying to think about what other people would want to listen to.  Although we were told to think about what WE wanted to talk about, I didn’t really allow myself to do it.  With my uncontrollable need to please people, switching gears to thinking about what I wanted to write about took a little time, but I finally got there.  I realized that Geoghegan and Klass were right when they said that, “Ultimately, it is your enthusiasm that will “sell” your show. Most podcasters are producing podcasts because they are genuinely enthusiastic about their subject.”  With this new focus, my mind naturally went to one of my biggest passions: food.  I was then able to narrow it down into something more relatable and specific: Isla Vista Food.  Now that my topic is finally set, I am about to begin a process that can be seen as somewhat daunting.  I just have to remember that, “Making a podcast consists of creating an audio or video file and then going through a few extra steps to get it out to the world. That’s it.”






1 comment:

Meagan Reece said...

It’s awesome that you were able to separate your interests from what you think other people would be interested in when it comes to your podcast! That’s something that I’m struggling with and haven’t been able to figure out. Hopefully something comes to me soon! I also agree that picking something that you’re passionate about is great advice, because if you like the subject then your enthusiasm will always reflect in your work. It’s awesome you’re doing your podcast on the food in Isla Vista, I’d be curious to listen and see what places or types of food in the IV area you go about reviewing. Overall I’m really intrigued with your idea, hopefully recording goes well for you!