No phone? No internet? No network media? No chance.
I tried, I really tried. Over the weekend two of my friends and I decided to walk from our house in Isla Vista to my house in Santa Barbara. 17 miles in 6 hours. We decided that during that time we would all go without our phones and just be with each other...but 2 hours in, we got lost. We needed the GPS on our phones, and although we only used the internet for that one minute, we lost the challenge.
Not only do we rely on our phones for communication, but also for everyday life. We do not realize how much of our lives is on our phones/computers, and when those are taken away it almost feels that a part of us is missing. I cannot connect with other friends or family, I can't see whether my work is contacting me, and in an emergency I would be useless.
Other than that one time checking our location, I was able to spend the 6 hours unplugged; however, that was all I was able to do. I was too worried about missing important work information or school information in order to go the full 24 hours. Even though I was trying to be without technology, the rest of the world wasn't, and they expect the quick responses that they are used to.
Over winter break I visited Ecuador, and we were only able to have our phones or wifi very few times throughout our 10 days. Even though I told those who needed to know about my absence, the idea was so foreign to them that they still continued to contact me with important information. On the rare occasions when we did get wifi, my phone would blow up with emails and texts that required immediate responses. Even when I am on my horse and am not able to be reached for only an hour, people start to wonder why I have not responded yet.
While it is sad that we are so addicted to our phones, it is for a good reason. We are able to get things done so quickly and more efficiently than ever before. Not only is it important for our work and school lives, but for emergency situations. Sometimes the worry after not hearing from a person for a few hours can lead to the concern that catches a bad situation before it gets beyond repair. Or even who knows, if I had not had my phone, my 2 friends and I may have been stranded in the greater Santa Barbara area with no way out...I like to think I'm more street smart than that, but you never know!
1 comment:
I completely empathize with your saying "even though I was trying to be without technology, the rest of the world wasn't and they expect the quick responses that they are used to." My family was upset that I wasn't responding quickly the way I normally do, and by the next day they were genuinely concerned that something was wrong! It's amazing the need and necessity for quick responses in the modern world. Just a few years ago you could go a few hours without talking to anyone and it wouldn't be a big deal. Now it seems as though you don't respond to someone for five minutes and they flip their lids!
Post a Comment